Monday, October 12, 2009

COLOR!


So these pictures are in reverse order to show you the thought process I was trying (with varying degrees of success) to use here.This is the color "sketch" I did in photoshop.

Here's a very plastic looking crab claw, painted a very brilliant blue!

So, I finally decided that the crab should be about the structure, not so much the paint job - I mean it's a sculpture, not a painting. Therefore, I decided to just make it a flat color. I really loved the crab when it was just gray, so I figured I could capture some of that same feeling, if it was a solid color...however, I'm still not completely convinced this is the right color ( I think I want something a little less brilliant).

This is what you call trying to create a 'gradient' of light to dark. Unfortunately, it looks more like the sky than a crab :)

Here, I was trying to force my idea of a blue crab onto a the reddish-black under-painting.

I ran out of my first red, so I ended up using three different hues to complete the paint job...not with a large degree of success, however.

I actually kind of like this look - it's like a fiery rust style.

After completing the primer coat, I painted the entire crab black. I did this because I like having a deep rich color to build my lighter hues upon - it gives the paint a stronger sense of depth.

Here's me trying to fight the crab...

...I think I can take him!